A Recipe to Keep You Warm and Healthy
Ingredients (serves four people):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fat‐free, unsalted chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 can (16 ounces or about 1 1/2 cups) canned chickpeas or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole‐grain small shell pasta
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes, spinach beans and pasta. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add zucchini. Cook and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of TroonFit